Ever wondered why ♂ and ♀ represent the male and female gender?14:20
|Mars symbol (U+2642 ♂). The symbol for a male organism or man.|
|Venus symbol (U+2640 ♀). The symbol for a female organism or woman.|
Numerous variations of gender symbols have been developed in the context of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) culture since the 1990s. Some of these symbols have been adopted into Unicode beginning with version 4.1 (2005).
Other gender symbols in Unicode 4.1+:
- ⚢ (U+26A2)
- Double female sign, sometimes used as a female homosexual symbol
- ⚣ (U+26A3)
- Double male sign, sometimes used as a male homosexual symbol
- ⚤ (U+26A4)
- Interlocked male and female sign, occasionally used as a heterosexual symbol
- ⚦ (U+26A6)
- Male with stroke sign, used as a symbol for transgendered.
- ⚨ (U+26A8)
- Vertical male with stroke sign
- ⚩ (U+26A9)
- Horizontal male with stroke sign
- ⚪ (U+26AA)
- Medium white circle base, used as a symbol for asexuality, sexless or genderless
- ⚲ (U+26B2)
- Neuter. This is in fact the shape of the original (medieval) "Venus" symbol (depicting a hand mirror), the additional horizontal bar being of modern date.
- ∅ (U+2205)
- Empty set, used for neutrois